Why Should You Choose HWK?
- Extreme flexibility: Plan your fellowship in accordance with your personal and career needs.
- An Exceptional Place: The Hanse-Wissenschaftskolleg consists of buildings of exceptional architectural quality, apartments fully furnished to highest-quality standards of living and comfort. Large parts of the colleges premises consist of a lush, green garden. You can actually eat fruit directly from the trees while working on your research project! Plus, the HWK is only a one-hour train ride to the North Sea including the Wadden Sea and the East Frisian islands. The area offers exceptional holiday and recreational activities. Still, the Delmenhorst is only 15 or 30 minutes by train from the urban centers of Bremen and Oldenburg, respectively.
- Unique combination of natural and social sciences plus humanities under one roof.
- Maximum Autonomy: The Hanse-Wissenschaftskolleg it built to serve the needs of individual researchers. There are only minimal communal requirements. You are free to structure almost all of your time at the HWK around your research project. Plus, fellowship preparation and planning is fully adjusted to make it easy for you to come: As there are no annual cohorts, you may start your fellowship any time, as long as there is space available. Whever you want to start or end your fellowship is a matter of individual negotiation with our team.
- Excellent Cooperation Opportunities: The HWK is very close to a large number of public and private universities, higher education institutions and independent research institutions in Germany's bustling Norwest. The HWK maintains close and constant relationships to the Universities of Bremen and Oldenburg including their highly specialised deparment such as the MARUM. It also is closely connected to major independent institutions such as the Alfred-Wegener-Institute in Bremerhaven, which is also just around the corner. Due to the regional characteristics, you will find plenty of opportunities to connect to major global businesses, such as Airbus.
- A Haven for Independent Minds (full autonomy, academic liberalism, pluralist viewpoints)
- Family support (support with school and kindergarten)
- Safety (even with your children)