Liability and accident insurance


It is recommended that each Fellow and all accompanying family members should possess a personal liability insurance guaranteeing  coverage of at least three million EUR. Particularly if you want to use HWK cars it is recommendable to also get an accident insurance. 

You can either use your existing insurance contract or get an insurance in Germany. Your host or other scientists who spent time in Germany might have recommendations. Alternatively, you could get liability and/ or accident insurance through the same company that also provides health insurance plans for foreign scientists, offering special contracts for HWK Fellows (under a contract of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation).

The Hanse Merkur Insurance offers special insurance plans for foreign scientists. Please click here for an overview of their insurance plans (health insurance and accident/liability insurance).  If you would like to get your liability and/ or accident insurance from them, please download the application form here (click on the link "Liability and Accident Insurance (Word)"). Please fill the form and print it and sign it. Make sure that you enter "Hanse-Wissenschaftskolleg (HWK), Lehmkuhlenbusch 4, 27753 Delmenhorst" as your address in Germany - this is necessary to get the special contract conditions for Humboldt-Fellows as described in the flyer mentioned above. Please note that this system only works with a German bank account! If you do not have a German bank account number (and are not planning to open an account in Germany during your Fellowship), please get in touch with the administrative assistant of your research area: in this case, you will receive the HWK account information to enter into the form, and the amount for your insurance will be deducted from your stipend.  Please send the original application form with your signature by regular mail to the address shown at the bottom of the form. If you also get health insurance from the same company, the respective form for that insurance can be included in the same mailing.



Updated 2021-03-30